How to Create Inventory Location Names
- Location names should be unique. No two locations should ever have the same name.
- EVERY physical space in your facility should have a location name. Even if you don’t currently store anything in that space.
- Where practical, EVERY location should be labeled.
- The location labels should contain the full name of the location, and if possible, have arrows that point to the location
- If you have more than one “room” consider using zone names, or room names
- Zone/room names should be abbreviated (usually to a single letter ) and contained in the full location names.
- Within a zone or room, location names should ascend from top to bottom, and from left to right (to understand this concept better, please follow the detailed guide below.)
Here’s an example of a good location naming scheme using our fake company, Sweet Little Devils. Below is an illustration of the facility: